A Guide to Setting Your Primary Location on Netflix
In response to addressing password sharing, Netflix has announced policy changes in certain regions like Canada, New Zealand, Portugal, and Spain. These changes are expected to be implemented in other countries as well. One of the new requirements is for users to set their primary location. Your primary location is the place where you primarily intend to use the Netflix service. By doing this, Netflix can assume that any new device logging into your account from the same location belongs to your household.
If you want to set up your primary location on Netflix, follow these steps:
- Using your internet-connected TV, launch the Netflix app and sign in to your account.
- Navigate to the app’s menu by pressing the left button on your TV remote.
- Go to “Get Help” > “Manage Primary Location.”
- Choose either “Set by Email” or “Set by Text,” and you’ll receive a verification link through your email or a text message on your phone.
- If you selected email, open the email and tap “Review Request.” If you chose the text message, click the link and then select “Review Request.”
- Now, click on “Set Primary Location.”
- A confirmation message should appear on your TV screen. Select “Continue to Netflix” to start watching.
Please note that currently, setting your primary location is only possible through the Netflix app on your smart TV. It won’t work on PCs, mobile devices, or set-top boxes like Roku or Apple TV. While the reason for this limitation is unclear, it is hoped that Netflix will extend this feature to other devices in the future to accommodate users who primarily watch Netflix on their phones or computers or don’t own a smart TV.
- What is the purpose of setting a primary location on Netflix? Setting a primary location on Netflix is necessary to ensure that users have access to content that is specifically licensed for their region. This measure helps prevent unauthorized access to content that may not be available in their area.
- How can I set my primary location on Netflix? To set your primary location, log in to the Netflix app on your TV, then go to Get Help > Manage Primary Location. Choose to receive a verification link via email or text message and follow the provided instructions to set your primary location.
- What happens if I don’t set a primary location on Netflix? If you fail to set a primary location by February 21st, 2022, Netflix will automatically assign one for you based on device IDs, account activity, and IP address.
- Do I need to set a primary location if I don’t watch Netflix on a TV? No, if you exclusively watch Netflix on devices other than a TV, there is no need to set a primary location for your account.
- Can I circumvent the new password-sharing rule on Netflix by not setting a primary location? While the specific implications for non-TV users are not entirely clear, it is unlikely that avoiding the primary location setting will enable users to bypass the password-sharing rule.
- Is it possible to change my primary location on Netflix? Yes, you can change your primary location on Netflix. Simply follow the same steps on the TV and Wi-Fi network of the new location to update your primary setting accordingly.