Specs & Review – Roksan Caspian M2 CD Player
The Roksan Caspian M2 CD Player embodies a sophisticated operating system designed to deliver exceptional digital audio playback. Whether you’re indulging in traditional CDs, CD-Rs, or CD-RWs, this player shines with its remarkable performance. Its frequency response spanning from 20Hz to 20kHz demonstrates unwavering precision, maintaining an impressive variance of only 0.2dB. Harmonic distortion remains nearly imperceptible, measuring less than 0.0015% at 0dB and 1kHz, a remarkable achievement that is typically at 0.0005%. Even at varying signal levels, distortion remains impressively low: < 0.005% at -30dB and 1kHz, and < 0.01% at 0dB and 20kHz. Intermodulation distortion is also virtually nonexistent, measuring < 0.001% at 0dB, typically at 0.0005%.
In terms of signal purity, the S/N ratio stands at an impressive 105dB, meticulously weighted to IHF-A standards. The meticulous engineering of the Caspian M2 is further evident in its wow and flutter performance, where quartz precision ensures minimal deviation. Exceptional channel separation exceeds 100dB at both 1kHz and 20kHz, contributing to the player’s stunning audio fidelity.
The Caspian M2’s analogue voltage output of 1.95Vrms ensures a robust signal transmission, and the gold-plated L&R RCA and Balanced XLR analogue outputs underscore the player’s commitment to superior connectivity. On the digital front, gold-plated 75 Ohm Coaxial, 110 Ohm Balanced AES/EBU, and Optical Toslink outputs offer versatile options for linking the player to external devices.
The D/A conversion is carried out by the PCM1798 Advance Segment, Audio-Stereo DAC, ensuring accurate rendering of audio with a resolution of 24 bits and a sampling rate of up to 192 kHz. This performance is facilitated by a third overtone oscillation crystal, finely tuned for precision.
Mechanical isolation is a cornerstone of the player’s construction, with decoupling feet on the main chassis and a two-stage decoupling laser mechanism. Jitter, the nemesis of digital audio, is meticulously managed, measuring under 130 picoseconds (typically under 70 picoseconds). Idle patterns are suppressed to a remarkable level of <-105dB, while stop band rejection achieves an impressive <-95dB.
The Caspian M2’s power supply comprises two high-performance, low-noise toroidal transformers and twelve fully regulated power rails. This robust power foundation facilitates the player’s maximum power consumption of less than 30W, contributing to its eco-conscious design.
Beyond the technical specifications, the Roksan Caspian M2 CD Player has garnered praise from both customers and professionals alike, firmly establishing itself as a preeminent contender within its class. The player’s ability to convey the rhythmic pulse of music is unrivaled, enhancing enjoyment across various genres. This is achieved without sacrificing refinement, rendering classical compositions with the same finesse as R&B, pop, and rock.
The Caspian M2’s sonic supremacy emerges not from gimmicks, but from a meticulous attention to design and construction. Notable features include a decoupled and isolated laser mechanism that aligns with precision, reducing reliance on error correction in favor of the genuine digital signal. An independent analogue output stage PSU eliminates signal corruption between digital and analogue domains, resulting in heightened clarity.
Professionals seeking the pinnacle of sound quality will appreciate the balanced XLR analogue and digital outputs of the Caspian M2. This pro-grade connectivity enhances audio clarity by reducing interference, elevating every sonic detail to prominence.
While the Caspian M2’s focus remains firmly on sonic excellence, it doesn’t skimp on essential features. Programming and repeat functions are at your disposal, complemented by a user-friendly remote control. Beyond the balanced XLR digital output, the player provides optical and coaxial connections, enabling compatibility with a wide array of DACs and digital amplifiers.
Roksan Caspian M2 CD pros & cons
- Exceptional Sound Quality: The Roksan Caspian M2 CD Player excels in delivering superb audio quality, boasting an impressively low harmonic distortion, high signal-to-noise ratio, and precise frequency response.
- Precision Engineering: Meticulous attention to detail is evident in the design and construction of the player, with features like decoupled laser mechanisms, precise master clocks, and third overtone oscillation crystals, all contributing to its high-quality performance.
- Balanced Connectivity: The inclusion of balanced XLR analogue and digital outputs enhances sound clarity by reducing interference, making it particularly appealing to professionals seeking studio-quality performance.
- Versatile Compatibility: The player supports various formats, including traditional CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs. It also offers a range of digital output options, such as optical and coaxial connections, ensuring compatibility with a wide range of external devices.
- Mechanical Isolation: The player’s use of decoupling feet for the main chassis and a two-stage decoupling laser mechanism effectively minimizes vibrations and mechanical noise, contributing to an undisturbed audio experience.
- Positive Reputation: The Caspian M2 CD Player has garnered glowing reviews from both customers and professionals, solidifying its reputation as a top-tier CD player within its class.
- Price: The Roksan Caspian M2 CD Player falls into the higher price range, which might make it less accessible to budget-conscious consumers. – price £2,300
- Focus on Sound: While the player prioritizes exceptional audio quality, it lacks some of the advanced features found in more modern CD players, which could be a drawback for those seeking a more feature-rich experience.
- Limited Streaming Options: As a CD player, it doesn’t offer built-in streaming capabilities or the ability to access online music services, which might limit its versatility for those who prefer digital streaming.
- Size and Weight: The player’s substantial weight and dimensions might not be ideal for those with limited space or those looking for a more portable solution.
- Minimal Display: The player’s design appears to prioritize simplicity, with a focus on sound quality rather than elaborate display features, which might be a con for those who prefer more visual feedback.
- Power Consumption: While its maximum power consumption is relatively low, it’s still higher than more energy-efficient digital music sources like streaming services.
In sum, the Roksan Caspian M2 CD Player stands as a benchmark for superior CD sound quality. Its precision-engineered components, meticulous attention to detail, and commitment to exceptional performance make it a true standout in the realm of high-fidelity audio playback.
|Operating system||CD digital audio system (CD, CD-R, CD-RW)|
|Frequency response||20Hz – 20kHz ± 0.2dB|
|Harmonic distortion||< 0.0015% @ 0dB, 1kHz (Typically 0.0005%)|
|< 0.005% @ -30dB, 1kHz|
|< 0.01% @ 0dB, 20kHz|
|Intermodulation distortion||< 0.001% @ 0dB (Typically 0.0005%)|
|S/N ratio (IHF-A Wtd.)||105 dB|
|Wow & flutter||Quartz precision|
|Channel separation||>100 dB @ 1kHz|
|>100 dB @ 20kHz|
|Analogue outputs||L&R, RCA Gold plated|
|L&R Balanced XLR Gold plated|
|Digital outputs||75 Ohm Coaxial, RCA Gold plated|
|110 Ohm Balanced AES/EBU|
|XLR Gold plated|
|D/A Conversion||PCM1798 Advance Segment, Audio-Stereo DAC|
|Resolution/sampling||24 bits / 192 kHz|
|Oscillation||3rd Overtone Oscillation|
|Crystal||Super precision, custom made|
|Mechanical isolation||Main chassis de-coupling feet, custom made|
|Laser mechanism||2 stage de-coupling|
|Jitter||<130 psec (Typically <70 psec)|
|Idle pattern||<-105 dB|
|Stop band rejection||<-95 dB|
|Power supply||x2 high performance low noise toroidal transformers|
|12 fully regulated power rails|
|Power source||100V – 120V 50Hz / 60Hz|
|220V – 240V 50Hz / 60Hz|
|Maximum power consumption||< 30 W|
|432 x 330 x 80 (including feet)|