What exactly is Tizen and on what devices is it used?
Tizen OS is a Linux-based operating system that is maintained by the Linux Foundation and used primarily by Samsung. Because the Tizen operating system is open source, developers can access it to create compatible apps and incorporate it into third-party devices such as smartwatches and smart TVs.
Which devices use the Tizen operating system?
Several variants of the Tizen operating system have been developed to power different types of devices. For example, you can find Tizen Wearable on a variety of Samsung smartwatches such as the Samsung Galaxy Watch series and Galaxy Gear. Tizen Mobile works with Samsung’s low-cost smartphones. Other versions of the Tizen include OS IVI (In-Vehicle Infotainment) for cars and Tizen TV for smart TVs.
Tizen Wearable OS: Samsung Smartwatches
While most Samsung smartphones run on a modified version of Android, their smartwatches run on Tizen Wearable, which has a separate OS App ecosystem (formerly Android Wear). The Tizen Store has a smaller selection of apps than Wear OS, but it has a number of watch faces. Samsung smartwatches also have the Gear app, which connects the handset to your smartphone and creates a bridge between the Tizen apps and the Android operating system.
The existing Tizen profiles are Tizen IVI – In Vehicle Infotainment, Tizen Mobile, Tizen TV and Tizen Wearable. All variants since Tizen 3.0 are primarily based on a common, shared system known as Tizen Common.
Multi-platform OS, such as Tizen help to make easier the creation of software by removing the require for unnecessary coding of applications for multiple platforms. With Windows 10, Microsoft has taken a comparable strategy with wide-spread applications that operate across smartphones, wearables, tablets and desktops via common APIs.
Tizen applications are all coded in HTML5. Creating HTML5 its native language negates any need for a native code container to assistance a device’s innovative sensors and capabilities. Developers familiar with coding HTML5 can use the exact same tools used to create websites and web applications to build applications working on Web-centric operating systems, such as Tizen and WebOS. Using an currently recognizable language also makes the new system available as a new market to an active pool of web developers.
Samsung Tizen was one of the 1st commercial implementations of the OPERATING SYSTEM.
Tizen OS works with the rotating bezel on Samsung smartwatches, making it easier to view notifications and navigate through settings and other parts of the interface. Samsung says the Tizen operating system is also optimized to allow for longer battery life.
Tizen on Smart TVs, cars and smart home devices
The Tizen operating system is also used in a variety of vehicles to manage entertainment and in-flight navigation. You’ll also find it on Samsung Smart TVs and other smart appliances, such as refrigerators, washing machines and dryers, thermostats and light bulbs.
On TVs, Tizen is the interface you use to access streaming apps like Netflix. Tizen is also allowing a smart washing machine to send you a text when the cycle is over. Smart devices connect to the Samsung SmartThings mobile app so you can use your smartphone to control them.
Tizen vs. Tizen Wearing the operating system
There are many more Wear OS watches than Samsung watches because Google works with many manufacturers. All Samsung watches have a rotating bezel for navigation, which many users prefer to repeatedly scroll up and down and side by side. Some Wear OS watches have a rotating bezel, but many don’t.
Google encourages developers to add Wear OS support to apps already in the Play Store, so a wider selection of apps are available. Samsung watches have a variety of built-in Samsung apps, but third-party apps have less offer. The company has partnered with some third-party companies to create Tizen-friendly apps, including Spotify and Flipboard. Photo:Samsung research
The other main difference is the built-in virtual assistant for voice commands. As it is, Google Assistant, on Wear OS Watches, is more popular than Samsung’s Bixby, but both platforms continue to improve over time. For mobile payments, Wear OS uses Google Pay, while Samsung watches have Samsung Pay.
Benefits of using Tizen
Tizen is an open-source operating system for various devices, including smartphones, tablets, in-vehicle infotainment systems, and smart TVs. Some benefits of using Tizen include:
- Open-source: Tizen is an open-source platform, which means that developers have access to the source code and can modify it to fit their needs. This can be beneficial for developers looking to customize the platform or create unique applications.
- Customization: Tizen allows for a high level of customization, both for the operating system and for applications. This can be beneficial for developers looking to create unique and personalized experiences for users.
- Compatibility: Tizen is compatible with a wide range of devices, including smartphones, tablets, and smart TVs. This can make it easier for developers to create applications that can be used on multiple devices.
- Security: Tizen includes security features such as secure boot, which helps to prevent malicious software from running on the device. This can help to protect users’ data and ensure that their devices are secure.
- Performance: Tizen is optimized for performance and can run smoothly on a variety of devices. This can be beneficial for users who want a fast and efficient operating system.
Who invent tizen?
Tizen is an open-source operating system developed by the Tizen Association, a consortium of companies including Samsung, Intel, and the Linux Foundation. The Tizen project was first announced in 2011, and the first version of Tizen was released in 2012. The Tizen operating system is based on the Linux kernel and is designed to be compatible with a wide range of devices, including smartphones, tablets, and smart TVs. Tizen has evolved over time, with new versions released periodically to add new features and improve performance.
Differences Between Tizen OS Vs Android TV
Tizen OS and Android TV are both operating systems for smart TVs, set-top boxes, and other similar devices. However, there are several key differences between the two:
- Development: Tizen OS is developed by Samsung and a few other companies, while Android TV is developed by Google.
- User Interface: Tizen OS uses a different user interface compared to Android TV, which uses a customized version of the Android OS.
- App Store: The Tizen Store and the Google Play Store offer different selections of apps, with the latter having a larger selection.
- Customization: Android TV allows for greater customization compared to Tizen OS, as it is based on the open-source Android OS.
- Integration with Other Devices: Android TV has better integration with other Android devices, as it is part of the larger Android ecosystem.
- Security: Tizen OS is considered to be more secure than Android TV, as it has been designed specifically for embedded systems and has a smaller attack surface.
Ultimately, the choice between Tizen OS and Android TV will depend on personal preferences and the specific needs of the user. Some users may prefer Tizen OS for its security and simplicity, while others may prefer Android TV for its larger app selection and customization options.
Who can use tizen?
Tizen is an open-source operating system that can be used by anyone. It is primarily used in devices such as smartphones, tablets, and smart TVs, but it can also be used in other types of devices, such as in-vehicle infotainment systems and smart watches. Tizen is designed to be flexible and customizable, so it can be used by a wide range of users, including individuals, businesses, and organizations.
Developers can use Tizen to create applications for a variety of devices, including those running Tizen as the operating system. Tizen provides a development environment and tools for developers to create and test applications, and it has a large community of developers who contribute to the platform and create a wide range of applications.
Users of Tizen devices can benefit from the wide range of applications available for the platform, as well as the customization options and performance enhancements that Tizen offers. Tizen devices are available from a variety of manufacturers, so users can choose the device that best meets their needs.