All Surface devices typically connect to compatible displays using Miracast. You can also connect by using the Microsoft Wireless Adapter. Here’s how to connect your Surface to your TV using both methods and things you can do when it’s all set.
How to connect a Surface tablet to a TV with Miracast
1. Make sure your TV supports Miracast. You can do this by visiting the manufacturer’s website for TVs or monitors.
In addition, the Wi-Fi Alliance also has a constantly updated list of Miracast-compatible devices.
2. On your Surface tablet, select the icon on the right to open the Windows 10 Action Center, and then select Connect.
Open Action Center
3. A list of available devices will be displayed. Locate and select the device you want to connect.
Find and select the device you want to connect
4. Some devices require a PIN or password before proceeding. After you enter the necessary information, you will see the surface tablet screen on the TV.
How to connect a Surface tablet to a TV using the Microsoft wireless adapter
1. On a Surface tablet, download and install the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter app. It’s free in the Microsoft Store.
Install the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter app
2. Connect the HDMI end of the Microsoft wireless adapter to the HDMI port on your TV.
3. Connect the USB end of the adapter to the USB charging port of the TV.
Note: Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter is powered by a USB connection. If your TV doesn’t have a USB charging port, you can connect the USB end of the adapter to any other USB charger, including a Surface Pro power supply or a Surface docking station.
4. Change the TV input to match the HDMI port that you just connected to the adapter.
5. On a Surface tablet, open Action Center by swiping in from the right edge of the screen or selecting the Action Center icon in the taskbar.
6. Select Connect, and then select Microsoft Wireless Video Adapter .