There are several possible solutions for fixing a “there was a problem resetting this PC” error in Windows 10:
- Try running the built-in Troubleshooter for Windows Update and the Windows Update standalone installer.
- Disable any third-party antivirus or firewall software temporarily and try resetting the PC again.
- Use the Windows 10 installation media to perform a clean install of Windows 10.
- Use the System File Checker (SFC) tool to check and repair any corrupted or missing system files.
- Check the health of your hard drive or SSD and replace it if necessary.
To fix the “There was a problem resetting your PC” issue on Windows 10, follow these steps:
- Open Settings and go to Update & Security, then select Recovery, and click on Advanced startup. Click on the Restart now button.
- In the new window, select Troubleshoot and then Advanced options. Click on Command prompt.
- Select the administrator account and enter the credentials for that account.
- In the Command Prompt window, type the following commands (in italics) and press Enter after each one: cd %windir%\system32\config, ren system system.001, ren software software.001.
- Close the Command Prompt window, and you will be taken to the Windows Recovery Environment screen. Select the Continue option to get back into your operating system.
- After the reboot, the “There was a problem resetting your PC” issue should be resolved.
Note: Before attempting any of these solutions, make sure to back up all important data on your PC to prevent data loss.