The Sony X90K is a 4K Ultra HD TV that was released in 2022. It is a part of Sony’s X90 series of TVs, which are known for their high-quality picture and sound. The X90K features a 4K HDR display with a resolution of 3840×2160 pixels, which is four times the resolution of Full HD. It also has a wide color gamut and high dynamic range (HDR) technology, which allows it to display a wider range of colors and greater contrast than standard TVs. Other features of the X90K include a built-in smart platform, support for various streaming services, and a sleek, modern design. It is available in a range of sizes, ranging from 43 inches to 85 inches.
The Sony X90K TV is an top mid-range 4k LED TV. It takes the place of the Sony X90J and sits right behind the Sony X95K, which works by using Mini LED backlighting, something this TV does not have. It uses Sony’s Cognitive Processor XR as its processor chip, and it arrives with the Google TV smart platform, which has a user friendly interface with a lot of applications you can download, and you can use the Google Assistant voice assistant to look for for content and very easily open your favorite applications. Sony X90K TV offered in a wide variety of different sizes, from 55 to 85 inches, so you can get the one that fits your needs. It has a several additional functions such as full-array local dimming, and for gamers, it has HDMI 2.1 bandwidth and adjustable refresh rate (VRR) support to minimize screen tearing.
With its two HDMI 2.1 ports supporting 4K 120Hz video input, VRR, and ALLM, the X90K series is one of Sony’s Perfect for PlayStation 5 series, which will satisfy gamers. Sony’s Auto HDR Tone Mapping, which adjusts the HDR setting for the gaming console input upon first setup, is also available on X90K for PS5 TVs.
Strong features of the X90 picture quality included contrast and black levels. On this TV, the contrast range was outstanding visually and enabled for the rendering of images with a significant dynamic pop. For an LED TV, the black depths were surprisingly deep, which makes this TV a perfect option for watching movies in a dimly lit environment.
Additionally, the X90 black levels didn’t appear crushed, allowing for excellent shadow detail, which was clearly seen when viewing darkened movie scenes.
Is Sony X90J better compared to X90K?
The important difference is that the X90J has a superior local dimming function, which reduces blooming around bright objects and improves overall picture quality. The X90K is a preferred option and offers wider 1080p VRR range if you’re a gamer, nevertheless. The X90K is well-suited for gaming thanks to its HDMI 2.1 capabilities and Perfect for PlayStation 5 quality assurance, and the very respectable 13.8ms input lag we noticed in Game mode verifies this. Other TVs do marginally better than this one, but not significantly. Other than Sony’s baseline and the automatic HDR tone mapping that activates when a PS5 is connected, there are no visual options that are customized to particular games.
The Sony X90K TV highlights
- Intelligent TV processing technology with Cognitive Processor XR that delivers natural and realistic picture quality.
- Deep black, high peak brightness, and real-life detail with Full Array LED and XR Contrast Booster 10.
- Billions of accurate colors deliver natural and beautiful picture quality, enhanced by XR Triluminos Pro.
- Google TV with Google Assistant organizes your content all in one place.1 Stream from your Apple device with AirPlay 2 support.
- Enjoy streaming high-quality 4K UHD quality movies included with the BRAVIA CORE app.
- Experience immersive cinematic content with support for Dolby Vision4, IMAX Enhanced5, and Netflix Adaptive Calibrated Mode
- Take your gaming to the next level with input lag as low as 8.5ms and BRAVIA XR exclusive features for the PlayStation®5.
- Get the advantage in high-performance gaming with 4K/120, VRR, ALLM as specified in HDMI 2.1.
- Hear true immersive audio with two sound positioning tweeters in addition to traditionally placed TV speakers, plus support for Dolby Atmos.
- Acoustic Center Sync synchronizes BRAVIA XR TVs speakers with select Sony soundbars to reinforce the center speaker channel for fuller, more immersive sound.
- See blur-free picture quality in fast-moving sports and movies powered by XR Motion Clarity technology. Photo: Sony
- Bring back lost texture and detail and see your content upscaled to near-4K resolution with XR 4K Upscaling.
- Multi-position stand offering two variations – low-profile setting for immersive viewing or raised to accommodate a soundbar.
- With the optional BRAVIA CAM, video chat on the big screen and allow Ambient Optimization Pro to automatically adjust picture and sound according to your room environment.
BRAVIA X90K 4K HDR Full Array LED TV with smart Google TV (2022) price: $1,299.99
Sony X90K specs:
Number of Tuners (Terrestrial/Cable) – 1(Digital/Analog)
TV System (Analog) – M
TV System (Digital Cable) – Clear QAM
TV System (Digital Sat) –
TV System (Digital Terrestrial) – ATSC/ATSC 3.0(NEXTGEN TV)
Tuner Channel Coverage (Analog) – VHF: 2-13/UHF: 14-69/CATV: 1-135
Tuner Channel Coverage (Digital Cable) – CATV: 1-135
Tuner Channel Coverage (Digital Terrestrial) – VHF: 2–13/UHF: 14–69 (2–13/14–36 for ATSC3.0)
Backlight dimming type – Local Dimming
Backlight type – Direct (Full Array LED)
Display resolution (H x V, pixels) – 3840 x 2160
Display Type – LCD
Contrast enhancement – XR Contrast Booster XR HDR remaster Dynamic Contrast Enhancer
Clarity enhancement – XR 4K Upscaling Dual database processing XR Super Resolution
Color enhancement – XR TRILUMINOS PRO™ XR Smoothing Live Color™ Technology
HDR (High Dynamic Range) compatibility – Yes (HDR10, HLG, Dolby Vision)
Motion enhancer (Native Hz) – XR Motion Clarity, Auto mode
NETFLIX CALIBRATED MODE – Yes
Picture modes – Vivid, Standard, Cinema, IMAX Enhanced, Game, Graphics, Photo, Custom, Dolby Vision Bright, Dolby Vision Dark, Netflix calibrated
Picture processor – Cognitive Processor XR
Sensor – Light
Electronic Program Guide (EPG) – Yes
Internet Browser – Vewd (not pre-installed)
On-board Storage (GB) – 16 GB
On/Off Timer – Yes
Sleep Timer – Yes
Teletext – No
ACOUSTIC AUTO CALIBRATION – Room & User Position Compensation
ACOUSTIC CENTER SYNC – Yes (Sony-compatible Soundbar)
DTS audio format support – DTS Digital Surround
Dolby audio format support – Dolby™ Audio, Dolby™ Atmos
FM Radio – No
Simulated surround sound – 3D Surround Upscaling
Sound Modes – Standard, Dialog, Theater, Music, Sports, Dolby Audio
Sound processing – No
VOICE ZOOM – Voice Zoom 2
The Sony X90K is generally well-regarded for its picture and sound quality. Many reviewers and customers have noted that it has a bright, vibrant display with rich, lifelike colors, and that it is capable of displaying a wide range of detail and contrast thanks to its 4K resolution and high dynamic range (HDR) technology.
In terms of sound quality, the X90K has received positive reviews for its built-in speakers, which are capable of producing clear, detailed audio with good balance and dynamic range. Some reviewers have noted that the speakers may not be as powerful as those on some other high-end TVs, but they are still generally considered to be of good quality.
Overall, the X90K is considered to be a high-quality TV with excellent picture and sound performance. If you are looking for a TV with great visuals and audio, the X90K is definitely worth considering.