The SVS PB-1000 subwoofer produces the kind of powerful yet detailed bass we would expect from more powerful and certainly more expensive subwoofers.
Compact, yet powerful
It may be relatively compact, but that doesn’t stop the PB-1000 from going down to a staggering 19 Hz. The pairing of a modest 10-inch woofer with the tuned bass port and powerful 300 watt amplifier delivers a much deeper bass than you’d expect from a sub of this size. Deep enough to shake the windows and feel physically, there is no better subwoofer at this price that engages more with the soundtrack. Our first impression was that the SVS did not joke about the PB-1000 going down to 19 Hz because it sometimes looked like a kick in the chest. Of course, there are subwoofers that have higher power and can offer stronger performance, but it is worth remembering that the SVS PB-1000 costs only £499. In terms of the subwoofer, and considering the performance we was getting, that a relative bargain.
The PB-1000 was capable of a surprising degree of detail in the 20-50Hz range, allowing subtle low-frequency details to come to the fore on even the most complex soundtracks. The bass is controlled and balanced, resulting in a surprising level of precision that gave the film’s soundtracks a genuine impact. As for the innards, the SVS PB-1000 uses engine technology for low distortion and long-range suspension for high performance at low frequencies. A high power coil is used for thermal management, a lightweight cone for increased sensitivity and transient response, and a rubber casing for durability and long service life. The PB-1000 uses a STA-300D sledge amplifier for efficient performance and cold operation, which has a conservative rating of 300W. however, the LED design gives the PB-1000 a level of efficiency that generates a much higher output than a sealed subwoofer with equal amplification. The amplifier includes a DSP processor for controlling the PB-1000 at all drive levels.
How does all this sound to you? In a word, remarkable. Yes, there are subwoofers that have higher power and can provide stronger performance, but it is worth remembering that the PB-1000 costs only £499. In terms of the subwoofer and considering the performance we was getting, this is a relative bargain. The PB-1000 was capable of an excellent degree of detail in the 20-50Hz range, allowing subtle low-frequency effects to come to the fore on even the most complex soundtracks. The bass was controlled and balanced, resulting in a remarkable level of precision that gave the film’s soundtracks a genuine impact. The PB-1000 also worked well with two-channel recordings, showing a degree of musicality that made us rethink our objections to using a subwoofer while listening to music.
If the goal of SVS was to create a subwoofer that can deliver deep bass at a price that does not require deep pockets, then they succeeded beyond all hope. The PB-1000 produces the kind of powerful yet detailed bass we would expect from more powerful and certainly more expensive subwoofers. If you are looking to strengthen the low end in your home theater, but have a limited budget, then SVS PB-1000 should definitely be at the top of your wish list.
Holding it tight
Despite its power, SVS PB-1000 subwoofer is also thin. A powerful magnet and a well-ventilated frame space allow the woofer to move with speed and precision. This prevents a resonant bass from spoiling both music and soundtracks. The bass is there-but only when it should be.SVS compact design
As a leading SVS model, the PB1000 is compact and comfortable for environments. A 10-inch woofer saves space, and with rounded edges to further reduce visual volume, the PB-1000 is less intrusive than many subwoofers. Photo: SVS
Built to stand the test of time
With a sturdy MDF cabinet, the PB-1000 not only provides low distortion sound without resonance, but is also built to last. The ash black finish provides a neutral fit to blend in with most TVs and other speakers. A fabric grille is also provided, which protects the woofer when needed.
Feel the impact of space battles without fighting for space in your living room, with SVS PB-1000 subwoofer.
PB-1000 Subwoofer Specs:
- Premium black ash finish.
- Front-firing 10” driver.
- Front-firing 3.5″ high-flow port with inner/outer port flares.
- Cloth grille with pin/cup retention system
- Rigid and strong cabinet construction.
- Detachable power cord.
- Cabinet Dimensions: 18.9″ (H) x 15″ (W) x 19.4″ (D) (without grille).
- Overall Dimensions: 18.9″ (H) x 15″ (W) x 20″ (D) (with grille).
- Weight (unboxed): 46 pounds.
- Shipped Dimensions: 24″ (H) x 24″ (W) x 20″ (D).
- Shipped Weight: 60 pounds.
- SVS 10″ high-performance driver.
- FEA-optimized motor technology for low distortion.
- High-power voice coil for excellent thermal management.
- Long-throw suspension for high output at deep frequencies.
- Lightweight Treated Fiber Composite cone for enhanced sensitivity and transient response.
- Rubber surround for durability and long-life.
- Dual high-grade ferrite magnets.
- Vented pole piece for greater cooling and low noise.
- Sledge STA-300D with 300 watts RMS continuous power (720 watts peak dynamic power).
- Efficient and cool-running Class D topology.
- 300 watts (720 watts peak dynamic).
- Green standby mode with less than 0.5 watts consumption.
- Detachable power cord with main power switch.
- RoHS compliant, lead-free construction and world-wide safety certifications.
- Auto-On / On switch.
- DSP control for accurate response and refined behavior under all operating conditions.
- Stereo line-level RCA Input & 80Hz High Pass Filtered Output connections.
- Stereo speaker level 5-way binding post input connections.
- Continuously variable low pass filter frequency with disable/LFE setting.
- Continuously variable volume and phase controls.
- Input impedance – 47 kΩ (unbalanced RCA) / 2 kΩ (speaker level)